Landscape Planning and Assessment
Leaders in the field of landscape planning and assessment within New Zealand, Brown NZ Ltd offers the following services:
Regional & District Landscape Assessments
Strategic evaluation and identification of landscape, natural character and amenity values, providing a platform for strategic policies in district plans and regional policy statements. This work typically involves engagement with local communities, combined with the use of both nationally accepted assessment criteria and research into broader public perceptions of landscapes and their intrinsic values. Previous assessments include the following -
- Volcanic Cone Sightlines & Blanket Height Control Review (2012 / 13) - for Auckland Council.
- West Coast Region & Buller / Grey / Westland Districts Landscape Study & Natural Character Assessment (2011 / 2013) - for the West Coast Regional Council & District Councils.
- Auckland Geomorphic / Geological Features Assessment (2011) - for Auckland Council: NZILA Distinction Award (Landscape Planning & Environmental Studies Category).
- Buller District Landscape Assessment (2011) - for Meridian Energy Ltd.
- Auckland Region: Natural Character Assessment (2009 -12) - for Auckland Council.
- Manawatu / Tararua / Lower Rangitikei District Landscape Assessment (2009) - for Mighty River Power Ltd.
- Auckland Regional: Natural Character Assessment (2009 / 10) - for the Auckland Regional Council.
- Otorohanga District Landscape Assessment (2008) - for Otorohanga District Council.
- Thames Coromandel Landscape Review (2007 / 2008) - for Thames Coromandel District Council.
- Kawhia Aotea West Coast Assessment (2006) - for Environment Waikato and the Waikato, Waipa & Otorohonga District Councils.
- Assessment of the Auckland Region's Landscape (2001-4) - for the Auckland Regional Council.
- Mahia Peninsula / Wairoa Coastal Strategy (2003) - for Beca Carter Hollings & Ferner and Wairoa District Council.
Project Impact Assessments
The assessment of landscape, amenity and natural character effects associated with commercial, infrastructure and private development projects (including wind farms, quarry developments, hydroelectric developments & major roading projects), including -
- Hagley Park Cricket Oval Application (2013) - for Christchurch City Council.
- Tairua Harbour Estuarine Management Review (2013) - for Waikato Regional Council.
- Sandspit Marina Application (2012) - for Auckland Council
- Escarpment Mine Appeals (2012) - for Buller District Council.
- Seafarers Site Redevelopment - Quay St (2012) - for Auckland Council
- Puketoi Wind Farm Project (2011 / 12) - for Mighty River Power Ltd
- Lake Coleridge Power / Irrigation Project (2011) - for Trustpower Ltd
- Limeburners Bay Subdivision, Auckland (2011) - for King Kylin Ltd
- Waterview Connection Project - SH16 & SH20 (2009 - 11) - for the NZ Transport Agency
- Eden Park 2011 (2006 / 2009) - for the Eden Park Redevelopment Board
- Wairoa River Power Generation Project (2010) - for Trustpower Ltd
- Project West Wind (2006) - for the NZ Wind Energy Association
- Moorabool Wind Farm - Ballarat, Victoria (2009 /10) - for WestWind Pty Ltd
- Allandale Wind Farm Project - Mount Gambier, South Australia (2009) - for Acciona Ltd
- Project Central Wind (2009) - for Meridian Energy Ltd
- Matiatia Village (2003 / 2004) - for Waitemata Infrastructure Ltd
- Waitemata Harbour Crossing Options Assessment (2002 / 3) - for Opus International and Transit NZ
- ALPURT B2 Waiwera River Crossing Review (1999) - for the Auckland Regional Council
- Marsden Point Port Impact Assessment (1997 & 2002) - for the Northland Port Corporation / Northport
The provision of independent peer reviews for Councils, community groups and other organisations -
- Escarpment Mine Application (2012) - for Buller District Council
- Onehunga Foreshore Restoration Project (2011) - for Auckland Council.
- Matiatia Marina Project (2011 - 2013) - for Auckland Council.
- SH1 Mander Park Project review (Whangarei, 2010) - NZ Transport Agency
- Orakei Point Residential / Comercial / Transport Hub development (2008) - for the Auckland Regional Council.
- Te Uku Wind Park (2007) - for Waikato District Council.
- Te Arai Coastal Community Review (2005 - 2006) - for the Auckland Regional Council.
- St Emilion Comprehensive Housing Development (2005 - 2006) - for Rodney District Council.
- Swanson Structure Plan (2005) - for the Auckland Regional Council.
- Project West Wind (2005) - for Meridian Energy Ltd.
- Awhitu Wind Farm (2004 - 2005) - for the Auckland Regional Council.
- Millbrook Quarry Review (2005) - for Rodney District Council.
Stephen Brown has appeared as an expert witness before the Environment Court in over 120 hearings and before council planning committees on numerous occasions –n behalf of applicants, submitters and local or regional territorial authorities. More recently, representatives of Brown NZ Ltd have appeared before the Waterview Connection, Turitea Wind Farm and Hauauru Ma Raki Wind Farm Boards of Inquiry.